* 2 1/2 lbs turnip, collard or mustard greens, washed and chopped into 1-in. pieces
* 3 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 2/3 cup chopped onions
* 1 or 2 dashes cider or red wine vinegar
* salt and pepper to taste (start with 1 tablespoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper)
* 1 tbs sugar
1. Fry the bacon in a pot large enough to cook the greens.
2. Add the greens along with onions.
3. Cook on low heat, stirring with wooden spoon, until greens are coated with bacon fat (about 2 minutes).
Pour off excess fat.
4. Cover the greens with water and season with salt and pepper.
5. Bring to boil. Add sugar. Cover the pot, reduce heat, and simmer until tender (time will vary, about 1 hour).
Stir occasionally and add water if they threaten to scorch. When done, increase heat to med-high, stir often. Boil off nearly all the cooking liquid.
6. Add vinegar. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve very hot.