I made a strawberry cake that started with white cake mix several years ago. This year, Shania asked for a strawberry cake for her birthday and I realized I’d lost the recipe! This Paula Deen recipe is very similar to the one I made before and was delicious! Do not buy a strawberry flavored cake mix. This is just as easy but so much better.
- 1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 (3-ounce) box strawberry-flavored instant gelatin
- 1 (15-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Strawberry cream cheese frosting, recipe follows
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 7 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Freshly sliced strawberries, for garnish, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
In a large bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin. Add pureed strawberries, eggs, oil, and water; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared pans, and bake for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
For the frosting:
In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in 1/4 cup of the strawberry puree and the vanilla extract. (The rest of the puree is leftover but can be used in smoothies or on ice cream for a delicious treat.) Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth.
Spread frosting in between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with sliced fresh strawberries, if desired.