I was looking for a new way to make brown rice and came across this recipe in Renee’s blog, Savory Safari. She adapted the recipe from Cook’s Illustrated. I’d been thinking about making garlic rice but then I had to try this recipe when I saw it. So, I added a tablespoon of minced garlic to the dish before I baked it. Mmm… so good! The only thing bad about this rice is waiting an hour to eat it.
Oven Baked Brown Rice
1 ½ cups brown rice
2 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 ½ Tbsp. butter (I used olive oil instead)
Large wedge of lemon
¼ tsp. garlic powder
1. Set oven rack to middle position and preheat to 375 degrees.
2. Spread rice evenly in the bottom of a small round casserole with a lid.
3. Bring broth and butter to a boil in a covered saucepan (make sure it’s covered – otherwise, some of the liquid will evaporate and mess up the proportions). As soon as it’s boiling, stir in dash of salt and pour the liquid over the rice. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
4. Remove rice from oven, uncover, and fluff with a fork. Squeeze wedge of lemon into the rice and add garlic powder and black pepper. Fluff again to combine.
5. Cover with a towel and let stand 5 minutes. Uncover and let stand 5 minutes more. Fluff and serve.
From: Savory Safari